Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Walking day

The rain finally let up today, and so while Scotty went in for his second day in the office, I, like the lady of leisure that I am, went for two long jaunts. The first was a walk to Potts Point and Kings Cross, by way of the Art Gallery of New South Wales.

I hadn’t planned on going in, but I noticed it was free, so, y’know, why not. And I know I come from the museum world, but I was totally thrilled by the place. At least half of the museum is dedicated to modern and contemporary art, and they do an amazing job of showcasing Australian contemporary artists right alongside the Alselm Kiefers and Bill Violas of the world. There are great collections of Aboriginal and Asian art of various flavors. They also had some clever and fun installations built around the statues in front of the building. See photo below.




















After that I walked down around Wooloomooloo Bay and up a big set of Stairs to Potts Point, which is a ritzy little neighborhood with some nice cafes. I had a killer coffee and tuna salad sammitch, and them walked down through Kings Cross and back home to our hotel.

My afternoon walk was out to Glebe, which is Sydney’s own little Portland, with hippie kids and a University and coffee shops and cheap eats everywhere. No Dutch tacos or bacon maple bars or fried marionberry pies though.

In the evening we went to dinner with Scotty’s uncle (read: friend of his dad) Larry, and we finally made it to Surry Hills for a proper dinner of Japanese food and gelato afterwards. Success! At long last! Scotty and I took turns getting freaked out riding up front on the passenger side (the left side) of Larry’s car, where by all rights there should have been a steering wheel, but there wasn’t, and we kept making turns that felt horribly wrong and disorienting. God help us on our road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment